https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/244187785-one-shattered-crown
Book Blurb:
Set in a steamy, neon-lit, high-tech world of magic, money, and explosive desire, this sultry, dark fairytale retelling offers a dystopian romantasy twist on Cinderella.
ELLA
It’s the wedding of the year—a lavish union of two powerhouses. But I’m only here for vengeance against the woman who stole my position as sole heir to my late father’s company, TimeGem Moments, and shipped me off to boarding school. I’ve only made more enemies since. Tonight is my chance to reclaim control. Tonight, TimeGem’s diamond-powered servers are this girl’s best friend. Unless he ruins everything. Justice Beathach, the groom’s unbearably hot brother, with hands built for war and a mouth that spells destruction. He’s lethal, unyielding, and now has me in his crosshairs . . .
JUSTICE
Ella Rendale almost killed my brother once. Now, at his own wedding, she’s almost done it again. I don’t care if he’s forgiven her or if she’s been wronged. I care about one thing: the locked flash drive she leaves behind, spelling my destruction. She can run, she can hide, but when I find her, she’ll give me what I want. But someone else wants her even more than I do—they want her dead. When our enemies close in, I’m forced to protect her, turning the fire between us into an uncontrollable weapon. Now, she’s not just my quarry—she’s my obsession. And I’ll kill anyone who even thinks of taking her from me . . .
Tropes:
*Netgalley/Hambright PR ARC *Fairy Tale Retelling (Cinderella) *mafia romance
*action *spice *trigger warnings *Possessive MMC *Protective MMC *Magic system
*dystopian *Dark romantasy
Thoughts:
I’m going to do this review a bit differently because I
wanted to like this book more, but I think it just didn’t fully land for me but
I’m sure plenty of people will like it so I’m going to try to find this book
the right audience.
Things I liked about this book:
I appreciated that Ella (FMC) was a total baddie she was
smart and capable and was an expert at code.
She was frequently getting herself out of sticky situations.
Justice (MMC) I liked how protective he was towards Ella,
her dog and even her godmother’s, he was a bad guy but just slightly softer for
her.
The 3 godmothers- Super fun group of ladies and I’m so glad
that Ella had them in her corner they taught her about code and watched her
back.
I appreciated some of the fairy tale elements of Cinderella
were kept like the evil step mother/step sisters.
Our Ella might not of had mice but she did have a protective Dog
*Ella would get captured by Justice only to escape him and
he would chase her… while this was ok the first few times, it began to feel
repetitive.
*Ella played a cat and mouse game with Justice pretty much
the whole book then towards the very end she’s just all of a sudden ok and on
fully on board… like what? Why did you
run from him so much then girl he was trying to protect you!
*The spice for me was over the top/too much and happened at some odd times once it started… he gave her too many spanking (not shaming it if people are into that kind of thing) but acted like it was more of a punishment for her continuing to run away from him… you are still enemies right now of course she’s going to run she doesn’t feel truly safe! And her step mom is trying to unalive her too.
*MMC runs with FMC through a crowded room with fingers in places they shouldn’t be in public like just wait till you get to a room!
If you are looking for a super elaborate world building
where the “magic” system is explained this isn’t that type of book à
Basically this is a dystopian society where there are 4 main
“social media companies” that are super rich/powerful and over the top
aggressive as most of them are headed by mafia families.
Ella’s father owned one of the top 4 and she was supposed to get the company in the will but her step-mom stole the company.
The Gems can get infected with computer viruses and through
the gem humans can receive the infection when they go to try to power up the
gem stone.
The MMC has an infection from a gem and is in need of help
clearing up this issue… we find that his brother had this happen in the
previous book and Ella was responsible leading to the enemies à more trope.
This is probably better enjoyed if you read the previous two
books first as the characters from previous books come into play in this 3rd
book.
I could figure things out well enough from reading this as a
stand alone, and might at some point go to check out the first two books in the
series.
If you enjoy more of a mafia romance vibe with some scattered dystopian/fairy tale retelling vibes and magical crystals you might enjoy this one.
Have you read this series yet? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment