https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256129950-holding-ground
Book Blurb:
I’ve been a single dad for five years. Then the wrong woman rented the guest cabin behind my house, and I knew right then she was going to ruin everything.
When Baylor's mother walked out, I made a promise—I'd be enough. Just the two of us. No one to disappoint her. No one else to leave.
Then Emelia Greene rolled into Echo Lake in a Mercedes and a power suit to convince the townspeople to change what makes our small town great. She’s everything this place isn't.
Emelia's not supposed to be kind. She's not supposed to be good with my daughter. She's definitely not supposed to be the one I find myself confiding in at the end of my dock every night.
She's leaving in three months. I know that.
The problem is, I can't stop wondering what it would be like if a woman like her belonged in a place like this.
In a life like mine.
Tropes:
*Hambright PR ALC *Small Town Romance *Single Dad *Opposites attract *Troubled past
*Forced Proximity *enemies --> More *Strangers --> More *Spice
*fun small town residents *Grumpy/sunshine *banter *insta lust
Thoughts:
I love a good small town romance and jumped at the chance to get an early listen copy when I saw this new series from Piper Rayne, thank you to the author and Hambright PR! I enjoyed the narrators but the FMC's voice for Emelia was a bit off for me, still an enjoyable listen.
We have Emelia (FMC) she is originally from a small town in Alaska but never truly felt like she belonged there and moved away for school and never went back to stay, now working in Boston for a development company she knows it won't be easy to win over the residents of Echo Lake... and that's evident right away when she runs into the brick wall that is Elliot.
Elliot (MMC) is grumpy and standoffish but he has reasons to be he has been raising his daughter by himself for the last several years after Baylor's mom walked out because "she just can't do this anymore" now with deep seated feelings of abandonment on multiple levels he is doing the best he can do be there for his daughter in every way that counts which includes keeping this small town community together and not allowing a big corporation to come in and build a resort... or whatever other plans they have... not in his town!
Emelia getting off on the wrong foot pretty much immediately with Elliot then hoping to not have to deal with him much while in town is unpleasantly surprised to find that he is the owner of the rental that she booked for the next 3 months... looks like they are going to be closer than she ever imagined, just wonderful!
After a storm damages the rental unit Emelia is staying in she has now moved into the home with Elliot and Baylor, forced proximity at it's finest.
I loved seeing grumpy, protective dad Elliot let down his guard and realize that maybe Emelia isn't as bad as he originally thought, she brings laughter and a lightness to his life he hasn't had in a long time and everyone in town (including his brother's) have noticed that he's in a better mood.
This was a cute small town romance and had all the things I love about that including the nosy towns people and family getting in everyone elses business.
There were some underlying themes of abandonment on both sides and a past history that made things feel more real and I enjoyed watching these two lost souls find each other on a deeper level, and Baylor so adorable loved how she was a 3rd lead character with a huge personality.
I loved Elliot's brothers and I'm looking forward to their stories! This was a great introduction to this new series and I can't wait to re-visit these characters as the series goes on it will be just like visiting an old friend.
Have you read this one? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment