Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Ashley Munoz: When You Stayed

 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/251303650-when-you-stayed

Book Blurb:

I was never meant to stay in Rose Ridge.
My father was the president of a notorious motorcycle club, so if something rattled him enough to request that I go, I should have listened.
In my defense, at the time, it seemed more terrifying to give up the only dream I ever had than to leave like everyone else.
I should have known that chasing that dream would lead back to the club, because everything in this town eventually did.
I wasn’t expecting to see a familiar face, glaring as usual, amidst the chaos surrounding the Stone Riders. For years, I had endured scowls, glares, and scoffs from Ford Ryan. However, there was something new and different about his heated stare, and even that oddly protective touch.
Something dangerous and addictive.
I should have left when I had the chance, because my proximity to Ford and the club meant I was close to danger. Even worse would be discovering exactly why Ford chose to stay when, out of all of us, he had every reason not to.

Tropes:

*Netgalley ALC *MC romance *Enemies --> more (kind of) *secret crush 

*childhood friends *spice *slow burn *Forced proximity *found family *he falls first

*dual POV (past & Present) *family drama *danger *protective MMC *secret tattoos

*cat dad MMC *forbidden romance (kind of) *Small town romance 

*State Challenge Virginia (repeat) *Miscommunication/no communication *secrets 

*Lies by omission 

Thoughts:

Royce and Ford were friends as children, while Ford had feelings for Royce and she had always had a crush on him... nothing ever came of this she dated another friend throughout high school and when graduation came Royce's father feeling that there was imminant danger from a rival motorcycle club asked her then boyfriend to ask to marry Royce, as the president of the club her father had a lot of say in what happened... but she was young and didn't want to settle down quite yet saying no (which the boyfriend actually knew she would) he left the next day without a word.

It's now 5 or so years later and Royce and Ford are both still in town.  Royce would like additional freedom but due to her dad's status as the president and the potential for danger he always told her and her sister if they were to stay in town they couldn't move out until they had someone to protect them... but he didn't want them dating another member of his club... they were off limits.

Royce has her own goals though she works for a local club setting up bands and it's a pretty popular spot, she would love for the current owner to sell it to her when he's ready to retire and in the mean time... maybe she can get the manager spot once her current manager leaves... he's planning to leave soon but doesn't feel she is a good fit for the spot even though she has been drumming up the business by scouting and getting talent in the building... but he is up to his own shady shenanigans.  He gives her an ultimatum, if her dad's club doesn't change leadership she can trial this new role for 3 months.

Royce is like WHAT!!?!?  how can he even suggest this because her dad isn't giving up leadership he's the president... but naturally she isn't aware of all club activities and truth is leadership has already transferred to her frienemy Ford (we know this... she does not).

Royce and Ford end up clashing throughout the book, they both pretend that there isn't something more between them... until they get too close and the situation ignites a spark that isn't going out any time soon.  But with Ford being the new leader of the club and being on the brink of some kind of battle with a few different Motorcycle clubs would it be safer just to stay away from each other?  Or give into what they both have always secretly wanted but have never let themselves have? 

First off I picked this up from Netgalley and I truly thank the author and Netgalley for this ALC.  The tropes sounded like something I would like but unfortunately this one just was ok for me (not saying it won't be better for someone else).

The issues I had with this book:

I felt like so many characters were introduced it was hard to keep track of everyone involved, I did the best I could to keep up but think if there is another series somewhere maybe that should be read first (?)

Our girl Royce was really hard for me to connect with she is in her early 20's but very immature, 

she would frequently go places she was specifically told not to for her own safety causing others to have to rush to protect her... multiple times!!!  how bout don't go there they are trying to protect you!!!

She at one point stole Ford's cat and brought him to her house knowing that her over protective dad would be home shortly, when Ford came to just get his cat back... seriously nothing else... her dad came home early and hit him for being alone with his daughter in her bed room... seriously, this was over the top for the dad but Royce should have known that the outcome would be bad and still did it.

She was upset and pouting over the secret that her father and Ford didn't tell her... but she was holding onto her own secrets and didn't tell them so would she like to be the pot or the kettle?  

Miscommunication and no communication were strong with this one, neither one wanted to tell each other how they really felt for the longest time... then Royce gets mad over some notes that she found written by Ford and another friend from when he was 16 years old and of course got upset over this too this was years ago and he was a kid then how about talk about it with him.

The Hot/Cold, will they/won't they vibes went on way too long and was repetitive by the end of the book I kind of didn't really care one way or the other if they got together or not.

Ford I actually liked him he was mature, stable, steady, protective and good with taking charge of situations and quickly... I honestly wasn't sure what he was doing pining after immature walks into danger all the time Royce.  I didn't understand why Royce's father had such a hard time with him he was just the type to protect his daughter as well or better than he has been for years.

The pacing was kind of all over the place with Royce just being Royce and the "danger" elements but also at times felt like maybe too much was being packed in (if that makes sense)

I did start to get more invested after the half way mark when the mystery of what the FMC's boss were being figured out and I think I might like to check out more of the series... the other potential characters (the sister and another friend seemed to at least be slightly more mature than our girl in this book).  

Have you read this one?  What did you think?  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ashley Munoz: When You Stayed

  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/251303650-when-you-stayed Book Blurb: I was never meant to stay in Rose Ridge. My father was the presi...