https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/250191557-married-to-lies
Book Blurb:
He needs a wife to save his business. She needs a husband to escape her past.
Someone I loved betrayed me. She committed fraud, nearly destroyed my company, and tried to pin the blame on me. Since then, trust has come hard. Connection has come harder. Which is why I’ve kept my distance from the gorgeous woman who cleans my office every day.
She’s everything I’m not: warm where I’m guarded, quick to laugh where I’m calculating, able to make strangers feel like family with a single smile. Being around her feels dangerously close to peace… and I don’t do peace. Not anymore.
But a major investor is forcing my hand. To protect the company from being handed to someone who would burn it to the ground, I need a wife, fast. And my cleaner’s the only woman I can imagine standing beside me.
There’s just one problem: as soon as we say “I do,” I realize she’s hiding something. I don’t know what it is—only that whatever she’s keeping from me could destroy us both.
***
Please note: This is book two in the Married Series, featuring Quentin and Rei! For the best reading experience, start with the first book, Married to Secrets!
Tropes:
*Darkstar ALC *Marriage of Convenience *workplace Romance *Boss FMC *Hidden identities
*Spice *Slow Burn *Guarded MMC *Secrets *family drama *Green Flag MMC
*State Challenge Texas (repeat) *Sweet MMC *Betrayal *Strangers to More
*Fake relationship *He falls first *Billionaire MMC *Sunshine FMC *Curvy FMC
*found family *multiple POV
Thoughts:
I grabbed this one from Darkstar it is the second book in the series and I do believe that if you read them in order you'll have a better understanding of what's going on in book 2 since it mentions things from the first book in this one.
Quentin (MMC) knows that in order to save the business that he helps run with his friends he needs a wife... and fast as part of a stipulation in Simon, the chief investor's will, if he doesn't fufil this requirement prior to his passing the voting shares will go to Simon's greedy kids... who don't have the best interest of the business at heart.
Simon faces challenges of his own once this is out in the open the main one being that his children are now actively out to off him to prevent the other share holders from getting married before their father passes away... seriously these kids are awful.
But Who is Quentin going to marry everyone decided he would be the next to find a bride after one of the other friends/owners found his bride in book one. There is only one person Quentin can think of for the position he has been watching her from a far for awhile, she's not only beautiful but she is hard working seeing as she cleans the office building.
Rei (FMC) is strong, sassy and curvy... she is also hiding the fact that she's actually a boss, she doesn't really just work for the company that cleans the building... she owns it but due to a a tragic past history she has someone she thought she could trust acting as the owner and setting up contracts... but she cares about her employees and doesn't want to let anyone down again.
Quentin is shy and guarded ever since his last relationship went south... and quickly but he knows he needs to get back in the game somehow and begins leaving sweet post it messages to Rei on the wall where any employee can leave a message. It's really cute seeing them work up the courage to actually meet in person.
Rei at first focused mainly on keeping her company from going under receives worse news when the man she assigned to pretend to be in charge... starts making demands of his own or else he will spill her secret past that she has worked so hard to leave in the past.
While Rei wants to tell Quentin and her best friend what's happening she also has difficulties opening up to people since even her own adoptive family didn't have her back when she needed them the most.
Rei hearing that Quentin needs a marriage of convenience feels this would be the perfect chance to make some terms of her own... but the more she gets to know him the more she feels she needs to tell Quentin the truth... but will he still want to be with her when she lays all her cards on the table? Quentin also has a past history that may be returning to the surface as well.
The narrators did a great job bringing this story to life the author really put Jakobi Diem & Cindy Kay to work with all the different accents.
Thank you to Kelsie Hoss and Dark Star Romance for this ALC!
I plan to go back and read the first book at some point to see what fully happened there, but I didn't feel lost jumping in at book 2.
There were a few shady characters throughout that kept me on my toes!
There was a build up throughout the book while I was waiting for Quentin to find out Rei's secret before she could tell him herself... or I was just shouting Girl just tell him already!!
The story dragged a bit for me in places but picked back up and kept me wanting to know more even in the slower parts. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and it did end in a bit of a cliffhanger.
Have you read this one? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment