https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/254025739-my-emergency-contact-is-a-wolf-shifter
Book Blurb:
Zoey Yates doesn’t ask for help. She fixes things, handles things, and keeps a carefully maintained emotional perimeter around everything that matters. She has a plan, a parrot with a helpdesk vocabulary, and absolutely zero feelings about the wolf shifter she listed as her emergency contact after knowing him for approximately six hours.
Zero feelings. Completely fine.
The hospital called him anyway. He drove forty minutes in thirty-two. Now he’s in her apartment, cooking eggs she didn’t ask for, and her parrot—who has never liked anyone—has accepted a head scratch. Liam sits across the room, not beside her, because she hasn’t invited anything closer. He waits. He doesn’t push.
Zoey has spent her whole life being the person who shows up. She doesn’t have a protocol for someone who shows up for her.
She’s building one. Against her will. Slightly faster than planned.
Tropes:
*High Gravity ALC *Shifter Romance (wolf) *Strangers --> More *family drama
*Mental health rep *Animal side kick *Lone wolf MMC *Independant FMC
*one night stand to more *Spice *insta lust/love ish *small town *protective MMC
Thoughts:
Zoey (FMC) has spent most of her life as the responsible one who takes care of things before they get out of control, due to this she is fiercely independant and doesn't like others stepping in for her to help, she is used to being in charge of her surroundings so when she finds herself in need of assistance while on vacation with some friends from work she doesn't let herself get close to many people and puts her hot new friend Liam as her emergency contact... it's just for the day it's not that big of a deal.
Liam and Zoey have what they both believe to be a one night stand.
Zoey has moved into her new apartment and wakes up in the hospital after taking a fall hitting her head and going unconcious... they have contacted her "emergency contact" Liam and he actually shows up for her in order to be released from the hospital she needs someone responsible to monitor her over night, Liam is up for the job.
Zoey has a foul mouthed parrot, and a nosy but sweet kid neighbor who has charmed her way into Zoey's life... and now she has Liam who she isn't quite sure what to do with as she's not used to others taking care of her.
Liam is a wolf shifter but left his pack when he was a teenager due to differences in how he should be able to live his life his father was abusive and his mother was complacent. Zoey has her own deep seated issues with her mother and struggles with boundary related issues and sticking up for herself.
I thought this would focus more on the shifter aspect but this focused more on Zoey and her learning to trust people, let safe people in, and set boundaries for others in her life.
I listened to the audio and I felt it was pretty long winded at times with repetitive things there are a lot of chapters that don't move the story forward much if at all and I don't think that the book needed to be this long a lot could be edited out without losing anything crucial for the story.
While the story was cute and cozy, I didn't really feel much was happening most of the time and I thought of giving up on it a few times while listening because it just wasn't holding my interest I didn't see what the point was for Liam to be a shifter for the story other than for the parrot to shout "DOG" at him constantly.
There isn't much world development on the shifter side and it was really just a real world romance meets a counseling session . I did appreciate the mental health representation and I felt it was necessary for Zoey since she was a doormat to her mom.
I was looking forward to listening to this one but unfortunately for me it just fell flat. The narrators Sadie Provost & Jack Thompson were awesome and I don't know if I would have finished this one without them.
Have you read this one? What did you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment