Thursday, October 1, 2026

Bailey Thomas: Kane's Reckoning

 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/249464381-kane-s-reckoning

Book Blurb:

Can their love survive a father’s ambition to protect his empire?

Kane Miller, heir to PC Miller Corporation, has no interest in working for his billionaire family's business. Driven by his creative passion, he aims to leave a mark on the world through architecture—the one aspect of his life his father can’t control.

Annika Bauer must move forward in her life, yet she finds it hard to contain all the darkness smothering her. Desperate for a change, she relocates across the country for a fresh start, leaving her nightmare behind.

When she agrees to work as a nanny for the Miller family, she’s immediately struck by the chemistry she has with Kane. The more time they spend together, the stronger their attraction becomes. Their forbidden love is a complication his father won’t accept. When Annika’s past intersects with Kane’s future, they find themselves caught in a conflict that could cost them everything.

Tropes:

*High Gravity ALC *Workplace Romance *Billionaire MMC x Nanny *PTSD 

*Family Drama *State Challenge: New York/Idaho *Secrets revealed *tension 

*forced proximity *insta lust/love

Thoughts:

Kane Miller comes from a powerful family he is determined to pave his own way as best as he can and instead of doing what his father wanted (to follow in his footsteps) he went to school to become an architect and had high hopes of making a name for himself but unfortunately in his business he ended up making a deal with his father to help fund a project... now he has to do certain things for his father until he can find a way to get out from under his thumb.

Annika (FMC) is looking for a fresh start, she's been through a traumatic event recently and feels like moving to the other side of the country will help with her healing process but she still struggles with her dark memories and even though she is going to counseling she worries about her past coming back to haunt her.

Kane's brother is over seas and things are becoming dangerous he doesn't want his young daughter to get caught in the middle and decides to send her back to the US to stay with Kane while finishing up his business.  Not to worry he is in the process of hiring a nanny to help Kane with this daughter. 

Annika is excited to start her new job as a nanny she has interviewed and it went well and plans to go to Idaho with the little girl and her uncle things are looking up for her fresh start... no complications especially not the fact that the uncle is super hot... and off limits.

Kane and Annika fight their growing feelings towards each other as they are living in close proximity.  Kane is beginning to fall for the nanny but a curveball gets thrown in the middle when he finds his controlling father has decided to meddle in his affairs... again, not this time!

Annika once back in the city finds that her nightmares may be coming true... will she ever feel safe again?   

Overall I enjoyed this book it kept me wanting to find out what would happen next, even if the romance felt rushed I felt Kane and Annika were good for each other and I would like to check out more of this series. 

While this is said to be a stand alone in this series I think that it would be better read in order, this book starts in the present then goes back in time to tell the story (which is fine) but there were times I felt like I was missing or had missed parts of the story. 

This is a sweet forbidden (ish) romance with a side of thriller, it did seem like certain parts were rushed and as the reader I felt like maybe I had missed pieces of their relationship developing because I didn't think that their relationship was as far along as it was being portrayed in the book... I even rewound it a few times because I was like "did I miss something?"  

I also felt there was a big plot line that was kind of just left open ended like shouldn't more be happening with this?  

The narrators Grace Grant and Christian Black did a great job bringing this story to life. 

Have you read this one?  what did you think?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bailey Thomas: Kane's Reckoning

  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/249464381-kane-s-reckoning Book Blurb: Can their love survive a father’s ambition to protect his empir...